Screening on April 28 and May 1
Majestic Cinemas will be screening the Paris Opera Ballet: Swan Lake on Sunday, April 28 and Wednesday, May 1.
In Swan Lake, Tchaikovsky took up the legend of the immaculate bird to create some of the most beautiful music ever written for ballet.
The choreographers Marius Petipa and Lev Ivanov left their distinguished mark on this story of an impossible love between an earthly prince and a bird-princess, refashioning the myth of the swan-dancer, the ultimate ballerina.
When creating his version for the Paris Opera Ballet in 1984, Rudolf Nureyev chose to give it a Freudian dimension, illuminating Tchaikovsky's poetic dream through a sense of profound hopelessness.
- Conducted by Valery Ovsyanikov
- Orchestra by Orchestre de l'Opera national de Paris
- Cast: Léonore Baulac (Odette/Odile), Germain Louvet (Prince Siegfried), Franois Alu (Rothbart)
- Music by Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky
- Choreography by Rudolf Nureyev after Marius Petipa and Lev Ivanov
- Designs by Ezio Frigerio
- Duration 2h55 including interval
- Captured live from the Opéra Bastille, Paris, February 21
Special event prices apply.
The next opera Majestic Cinemas will be screening is Macbeth, on Sunday, May 5 and Wednesday, May 8.
Captured live during a sold-out run at Staatsoper, Berlin in 2018, Harry Kupfer's smash-hit staging of Giuseppe Verdi's vivid take on Shakespeare's classic features icons Plcido Domingo and Anna Netrebko (in a signature role), led by legendary conductor Daniel Barenboim.