MAJESTIC Cinemas will screen the Paris Opera Ballet: Swan Lake on Sunday, and again on Wednesday, May 1.
In Swan Lake, Tchaikovsky took up the legend of the immaculate bird to create some of the most beautiful music ever written for ballet.
The choreographers, Marius Petipa and Lev Ivanov, left their distinguished mark on this story of an impossible love between an earthly prince and a bird-princess, refashioning the myth of the swan-dancer, the ultimate ballerina.
When creating his version for the Paris Opera Ballet in 1984, Rudolf Nureyev chose to give it a Freudian dimension, illuminating Tchaikovsky's poetic dream through a sense of profound hopelessness.
- Conducted by Valery Ovsyanikov
- Orchestra by Orchestre de l'Opera national de Paris
- Cast: Léonore Baulac (Odette/Odile), Germain Louvet (Prince Siegfried), Franois Alu (Rothbart)
- Music by Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky
- Choreography by Rudolf Nureyev after Marius Petipa and Lev Ivanov
- Designs by Ezio Frigerio
- Duration 2h55 including interval
- Captured live from the Opéra Bastille, Paris, February 21
Special event prices apply.
The next opera Majestic Cinemas will be screening is Macbeth, on Sunday, May 5 and Wednesday, May 8.