Kempsey Boxer Renold Quinlan to face Damien Hooper for WBO International title on April 7 at the Brisbane Entertainment Centre

Dunghutti Destroyer: Kempsey boxer Renold Quinlan alongside trainer George Ptolemy. Photo: Callum McGregor.
Dunghutti Destroyer: Kempsey boxer Renold Quinlan alongside trainer George Ptolemy. Photo: Callum McGregor.

Kempsey boxer Renold Quinlan has finally landed the fight he’s wanted for years.

Quinlan has had a long and public feud with fellow Australian boxer Damien Hooper and the two have agreed to go toe-to-toe for the WBO International title on April 7 at the Brisbane Entertainment Centre.

Quinlan called out Hooper on social media on August 10, 2017 and claimed “I will knock you out” if Hooper accepted the challenge.

However, Quinlan’s request for a bout fell on deaf ears until last Friday, when the 28-year-old received the call he had been waiting for.

“I’ve wanted to fight Hooper for a long time, he’s ran his mouth a few times and now I will get the chance to shut him up,” Quinlan told the Guardian.

“I just see him as another fighter though, once we step into the ring it will be business and nothing personal.”

Quinlan claims the blockbuster 10-round fight will give boxing fans what they want.

“This is what Australia wants to see – two good Aussie fighters going at it,” Quinlan said.

“I will make the most of this opportunity and credit to him for taking me on.

“I don’t think anyone else wanted to fight him but I am embracing the challenge, he’s a good fighter but he has flaws that I will expose.”

A tightly contested battle is expected with the two boxers held in high regard as quality talents in Australia.

Quinlan will step up into the light heavyweight division for the bout, with the Dunghutti Destroyer also giving up a height and reach advantage.

Hooper holds an impressive record of 13-1 while he also represented Australia at the 2012 Olympics, before he turned pro in 2013.

Hooper’s experience doesn’t waver Quinlan’s confidence though as he predicts the contest won’t go the distance.

“I know I can beat him, my left jab will cause him a lot of trouble,” Quinlan said.

“I see myself catching him early, everyone knows I have strong punches, I will get an opportunity, take it and stop him.”

The fight announcement comes days after the Macleay Argus revealed Quinlan had scheduled fights  for the end of April and May.

If things go to plan for Quinlan, all three bouts will go ahead which means the former IBO Super Middleweight World Champion will fight in three different weight divisions across two months.

Three victories would also result in Quinlan holding a title in three separate weight classes.

Quinlan claims the recipe for success over the next three months is to return to the preparation he had before his famous knockout victory against Daniel Geale.

“I will stay in Kempsey and continue to train under George,” Quinlan said.

“My home, family and friends are all here and I am in the best head space when I am around them and in Kempsey.”

Quinlan’s battle with Hooper will mark only his third fight since his victory against Geale in October 2016.