Pacific Highway closed at Telegraph Point after head-on accident

Photo: Traffic and Highway Patrol Command - NSW Police Force
Photo: Traffic and Highway Patrol Command - NSW Police Force

Monday, 10am: A 48-year-old Laurieton man has died as a result of a head-on accident north of Telegraph Point on Sunday.

About 6.20pm Sunday, police and emergency services were called to a roadworks zone on the Pacific Highway at Telegraph Point, south of Kempsey following reports of a head-on crash.

Initial police investigations suggest a red Nissan Pulsar travelling south, was struck head-on by a red Ford Fairmont travelling north in the southbound lane.

Both drivers were trapped in their vehicles for some time before being released by Fire & Rescue NSW and Rural Fire Service crews.

The driver of the Nissan – a 48-year-old man from Laurieton – was conveyed to Port Macquarie Hospital but later died of his injuries.

The driver of the Ford – a 62-year-old man from Clybucca – was transferred to John Hunter Hospital by Westpac Rescue Helicopter where he remains in a serious but stable condition.

The Pacific Highway was blocked for over five hours while emergency services dealt with the incident.

Specialist investigators from the Mid-North Coast Crash Investigation Unit were in attendance and are appealing for any witnesses to events leading up to the incident to contact Kempsey Police Station on (02) 6561 6199.

Sunday, 8.30pm: Two people were being treated for serious injuries after a head-on accident on the Pacific Highway.

The collision occurred at Cooperabung, three kilometres north of Telegraph Point bridge, and has closed the Pacific Highway in both directions.

Both drivers were trapped in their vehicles and are being treated for extensive injuries.

The Westpac Rescue Helicopter is on stand-by and a doctor is performing emergency surgery on one driver at the scene in an attempt to stabilise the patient for transport.

Motorists are asked to avoid the area. There are heavy traffic conditions and significant delays.

Traffic is being diverted via alternative routes including the Oxley Highway, New England Highway and Gwydir Highway.

It is the second serious accident on the Pacific Highway in less than 24 hours.

A 33-year-old woman was flown to John Hunter Hospital with critical injuries after a car accident on the Pacific Highway at Kundabung on Sunday morning.

The Pacific Highway was closed northbound at Kundabung after the woman's car left the road north of Smith Creek Road at about 5.50am.

The mother and her two children, aged 10 and 5 years, were transported to Port Macquarie Base Hospital by ambulance. 

Westpac Rescue Helicopter media reported the woman sustained serious injuries to her upper leg, thighs and body after the guard rail on the side of the road went through the vehicle on impact.

The 10-year-old child suffered lacerations and was later transported to John Hunter Hospital while the five-year-old sustained minor injuries.

For road closure updates go to

This story Head-on accident at Telegraph Point first appeared on Port Macquarie News.