A total fire ban has been declared for today (Wednesday September 13) for the Nambucca, Bellinger and Macleay valleys and beyond, due to forecast hot and windy conditions.
The ban covers:
- North Coast (SEVERE) - Bellingen, Coffs Harbour, Gloucester, Greater Taree, Great Lakes, Port Macquarie-Hastings, Kempsey, Nambucca
- Greater Hunter (SEVERE) - Cessnock, Dungog, Lake Macquarie, Maitland, Muswellbrook, Newcastle, Port Stephens, Singleton, Upper Hunter
- Greater Sydney Region (SEVERE) North Western (SEVERE) - Moree Plains, Narrabri, Walgett, Warrumbungle
NSW Rural Fire Service (NSW RFS) recommends the following:
- Under severe and very high fire conditions, well prepared homes that are actively defended can provide safety during a fire.
- Follow your Bush Fire Survival Plan and remain vigilant.
- No fires may be lit in the open and all fire permits are suspended during a Total Fire Ban.
- Gas and electric barbecues may be used provided certain conditions are met.
Total Fire Ban rules and a map of current Total Fire Ban areas are listed at www.rfs.nsw.gov.au